FFf Eclectic Red Barn: Yummy Key Lime Pie

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Yummy Key Lime Pie

I never thought I was a big key lime pie fan until I made my own. Now it is one of my favorites, especially in the warm climate that we have here in Florida. It is so light and refreshing.

Key Lime Pie with Whipped Cream @eclecticredbarn.blogspot.com

Having a key lime tree could be the other reason for loving this pie. These trees produce hundreds of small key limes, which is necessary since it takes around 20-22 key limes to make one pie.
My neighbor also has a key lime tree that is older than mine and produces around 1100 key limes per year. Hope mine will produce that many in the years to come.  He gives me some of his key limes as well. Nice neighbor!

I squeeze the limes and put 5 ounces(20 - 22 limes, enough for one pie)  in small mason jars and put them in the freezer.  You can make this with lemon juice if you want.

They sell key limes by the bag in the grocery store and it usually contains 20-22 limes. 
You will need the following ingredients for this pie.

Key lime pie ingredients

 Ingredients:
 Graham cracker crust (I use store bought)
 4 eggs - will use 3 egg yolks and one whole egg (do not add 4 whole eggs)
 one can sweetened condensed milk
 5 ounces key lime juice (you can use lime juice, but the flavor will be different)
 I added one drop of green food coloring for St. Patrick's Day (usually I don't do this)

Add the eggs to a bowl and beat until creamy. Add the condensed milk and cream again and then add the key lime juice. Stir until blended. Pour into the graham cracker crust.


  Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Let it cool and then place in the refrigerator to finish   
  cooling. At serving time, cut into slices and top with whipped cream.  Enjoy!

    I get so many compliments on this pie. If you try it, I hope you enjoy it.

Linking up to these parties:
KitchenFunsshbuttonPIN MEmeThe Thrifty GrooveYour Homebased MomToo Much Time On My Hands

8 comments :

  1. That looks delicious! How I would love to have a key lime tree! Life to the full, Melissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really blessed. With all of our citrus trees growing in the back yard, it is one of the great advantages of living here in southern Florida.
      Thanks for the lovely comment,
      Bev

      Delete
  2. Key lime pie is one of my favorite desserts!
    Thanks so much for linking up over at Finding the Pretty & Delicious Linky Party. Hope you'll come back again on Saturday! Leigh Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh Anne,
      Thanks for commenting and stopping by. I'm sure I will link up again now that I have found you.
      Have a great week,
      Bev

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. There is something so refreshing about this pie. Yum is right.
      Thanks for the lovely comments.
      Bev

      Delete
  4. Oh, now I am going to be craving this pie until I make one! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will not be disappointed. It is so yummy. Let me know if you make it.
      Have a great weekend,
      Bev

      Delete

I would love to hear from you. Your comments are special to me.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...