FFf Eclectic Red Barn: Fall Wreath from Natural Coffee Filters

Friday, September 30, 2016

Fall Wreath from Natural Coffee Filters

I love wreaths. I always seem to be making a new one. Are you that way; liking the old, but wanting something new? I have a perfectly lovely fall wreath, but I had an idea. 

I have seen wreaths made from coffee filters and I wanted to make one myself for fall/Halloween.


Eclectic Red Barn: Coffee Filter Wreath

I didn't want to dye the coffee filters as I have seen some done,  so I bought these natural coffee filters. Tan would work perfectly. 

Here's my tutorial on making the coffee filter wreath above.

1. Start with a base.  I had this straw wreath that I bought at a garage sale for 25 cents.

Eclectic Red Barn: Wreath Base
This particular one had a plastic wrap on it. The coffee filter didn't want to stick to it, so I removed the plastic.

2. I bought this package of natural filters. There was 200 in the package. I think it was around $2. I used 2 sections of the filters - so about 60 - 70 filters. This may vary depending on how tight you make the filters and the size of your wreath base.
Eclectic Red Barn: Natural coffee filters

3. I started by taking one filter and gathering it at the bottom.  


Eclectic Red Barn: Gathering the coffee filter into a flower

4. I attached the filter to the wreath by adding some hot glue to it and then placing it on the base. You could also place glue on the base and add the filter.

Eclectic Red Barn: Attaching the coffee filter to base
 5. I did this for a couple filters and then tried a different technique. I pushed the bottom of the filter up and gathered it. This made the filter shorter. The bottom becomes like a center for the flower.

Eclectic Red Barn: Pushing the coffee filter bottom up to make a flower

When I placed it on the wreath, I now have different heights. I liked that effect. Some are higher and some are lower.


Eclectic Red Barn: Multiple coffee filters on the base
I have seen other techniques for placing the filters on the base. Someone folded them and kept layering them on until all were on and then "fluffed" them up. I might try that next time.

6.  I kept folding and gluing my filters onto the base. You need to add a ribbon before you completely finish adding all the filters. I just wrapped it around and made a loose tie. 

7. Now that the base was completely covered, I wanted to add some black mesh flowers to the wreath. I purchased this at the Dollar Tree.
Eclectic Red Barn: Black mesh for flowers

8. I cut off a piece and then cut that in half.
Eclectic Red Barn: Black mesh for flowers - cut into pieces
I "scrunched" up the piece and using a little hot glue tucked it between the filters. 


Eclectic Red Barn: Natural Coffee Filter Wreath

9.  I made a bow and tied it to the ribbon that I had placed on the wreath. I cut some of the remaining ribbon to make a hanger for it.

There you have it - my tan coffee filter wreath. 

Eclectic Red Barn: Fall Natural Coffee Filter Wreath

Coffee filters can be used for so many projects and I am glad that I used them for my wreath. 

This wreath cost around $4. That included: the base, the coffee filters, the black wire mesh and some ribbon. 

  

Linking to these parties:
Home Matters Linky Party - Grab Button2013 Shab Friday logo photo handmade hangout- small logo AGI 3_zpscbsuugus.jpgLife on Lakeshore Drive blog buttonPhotobucketinspiration-galore-badget-mainfamily joy blog linky parties{nifty button}THE SCOOP #243The Dedicated HouseProject Inspired 150x150 Party ButtonClassical Homemakingwow-me_thumb1_thumb1Home Matters Linky Party - Grab ButtonLink Party

Save

1 comment :

  1. Wow, amazing blog layout! How lengthy have you ever been running a blog for?
    you make running a blog look easy. The entire look of
    your site is fantastic, let alone the content material!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Your comments are special to me.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...