FFf Eclectic Red Barn: Fall reminds me of stews

Monday, September 30, 2013

Fall reminds me of stews




Now that fall is officially here and the weather has turned cooler, well maybe not everywhere, still warm here in southern Florida, it is time for stew. 

My husband craves Brunswick stew. He loves this stuff. His brother lives in Georgia and when we go there, we have to stop at every BBQ stand to try their Brunswick stew. Some are better than others. Last month when we were visiting my son, my husband was looking through a new cookbook and found this Brunswick stew recipe. That meant that I had to make it. 

Eclectic Red Barn: Brunswick Stew with Pulled Pork

I started the recipe in my 3 1/2 quart Le Creuset pot and as I was adding ingredients, I realized that this was not going to work. I reached for my 9 1/4 qt. pot. I hope we like this, since we are going to be eating it for a long time!!

I must say it was easy to put together - basically you just dump, except for some sauteing,  all the ingredients in the pot and let it cook. The only tricky part is the pulled pork. I had some in the freezer from making the BBQ sandwiches last week. If you missed that post you can find the recipe  here. I try to find the largest Pork Butt for my BBQ recipe so that I can have lots of pulled pork left over. I use it for pulled pork sandwiches, chimichangas, burritos and now Brunswick stew. It freezes well.

The Brunswick stew recipe was great and my husband was so excited. He said it was definitely a keeper.  
Eclectic Red Barn: Brunswick Stew with Smoked Pork
So if you want a different type of stew for a change, I recommend trying Brunswick stew. 
Brunswick Stew with Smoked Pork                        Print Recipe
 Eclectic Red Barn: Brunswick Stew with Smoked Pork


Ingredients:
⅓  cup vegetable oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 stalks of celery, chopped
1 green pepper. chopped
6 cups pulled pork (I used Paula Deen's BBQ Pork Sandwich recipe)
28 oz. diced tomatoes
28 oz. tomato sauce
28 oz. creamed corn
3 large russet potatoes, chopped
1 cup water
¼ cup barbeque sauce
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon chili powder
½ teaspoon black pepper
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper or 1 tsp tabasco sauce


Directions:
Saute onion, celery and pepper in pot. Cook until slightly tender. Add remaining ingredients. Bring to boil and then reduce heat. Cook for ½ hour, stirring often.
I cooked mine longer - almost 1 ½ on low heat. I think it is best if cooked longer.



Linking to these parties:
One More Time EventsSuburbsmama..Twigg studiosThe Chicken Chick{nifty button}partyInspire Me MondayMarvelous Mondays Link Party at This Gal CooksMy Uncommon Slice of SuburbiaOur DelightfulHomeYour Whims WednesdayThursday Favorite Things weekly Blog HopReal Family Fun Wednesdays at The Real Thing with the Coake FamilyPractically Functional Link PartyLife on Lakeshore DriveNEWButtonMonday Funday at TWCSLinky PartyWhat did you makeCherished Handmade TreasuresYour Whims WednesdayWednesday Whatsits ButtonReal Family Fun Link Party

4 comments :

  1. I've never heard of Brunswick stew but it sure looks good. For just two of us it would take us forever to eat all of that though...lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so good . I'm hungry now ... wonder why :)
    Thanks for sharing:)
    Francine

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could spend all winter eating this and be happy as a pig in the mud! This is delicious! Yum! Thanks for sharing it at the Fluster Buster party Bev! Have a great week, Lizy party co host.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Completely agree with Lizbeth! Thanks for sharing and pinned to a few group boards.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Your comments are special to me.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...