FFf Eclectic Red Barn: Elliott Pecans

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Elliott Pecans

I hope you had a wonderful holiday. Mine was fabulous. We actually had snow on Christmas Eve and some on Christmas Day. It was so nice to spend Christmas with my children and grand children. There is nothing like the joy on the faces of children when they see all those presents under the tree. Maybe they are a little spoiled :)

One of my presents came right before Christmas - these wonderful Elliott pecans. My brother-in-law manages a pecan farm in Georgia and this year they had a great crop of Elliott pecans. 
Eclectic Red Barn: Ellott pecans


I didn't even know they existed. He gives me pecans every year and I thought they were all like. Silly me! They gave me this tea towel too.
Eclectic Red Barn: Ellott pecans with Christmas tea towel


The Elliott pecan halves are "prized by seasoned chefs and fanatic foodies for their robust sweet flavor, high oil content and delectable crunch. The small, oval shaped nut is a rare specialty pecan due to its sporadic yield and the fact that only select growers choose to harvest them".  
Eclectic Red Barn: Ellott pecans


Elliotts are named after the man who first discovered them in Florida's panhandle during the 1920's. Because of their stocky little size, Elliotts don't require chopping when adding to many flavorful pecan recipes. So you can use whole Elliott halves in cookies, muffins, salads and pies. 

I thought I would still chop them since they were bigger than the descriptions about them. I thought they were sweet, but not too much different than the regular ones. Maybe I am not a pecan connoisseur.  
Eclectic Red Barn: Ellott pecans
I love to use pecans in recipes and since I received so many, 3 pounds of Elliotts and 5 pounds of regular pecans, I will need lots of ideas. I put them in the freezer to keep them fresh for now. 

You can send pecan recipes my way, I would love that. Looking forward to a wonderful new year with all of my bloggy friends.




Linking to these parties:
 Inspire Me Monday

2 comments :

  1. I rarely buy nuts for recipes since they are so expensive and I'm so cheap....lol I had no idea there were different kinds of pecans either. Cool gift.
    Glad you had a good Christmas. Hope your New Year is off to a great start

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look so yummy! I am a pecan freak! I wish and keep praying that we can plant a pecan tree. I need to just get off the wishes and do it. :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Your comments are special to me.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...