FFf Eclectic Red Barn: Wild life in my driveway?

Saturday, September 6, 2014

Wild life in my driveway?

We are up at our house in Eustis, FL and when I opened the door to go into the garage,  I was surprised to see these Sandhill cranes outside the door. We see them often as we are driving, but never in our yard.
Eclectic Red Barn: Sandhill cranes as seen through the garage

This picture is taken from inside my garage. I thought there was just three of them, but when I went out the front door, and around, I saw five of them.
Eclectic Red Barn: Sandhill cranes in the yard
 Two of them were walking down the driveway. These are all adults. You can tell by the dark grey color and the red on their heads. Both males and females look alike. They can range in height from 2 ft 7 in to 4 ft. These cranes frequently give a loud trumpeting call that suggests a French-style "r" rolled in the throat, and they can be heard from a long distance.
Eclectic Red Barn: Sandhill cranes on the driveway
They were aware of me, but were not too concerned. They proceeded down the driveway and some went down the road, while others stopped in the yard.
Eclectic Red Barn: Sandhill cranes going down the road

Eclectic Red Barn: Sandhill cranes in the yard

As they came into the yard, I was trying to get closer. I was able to get a little closer without spooking them.
Eclectic Red Barn: Back of Sandhill crane
Eclectic Red Barn: Front view of Sandhill crane
After awhile, they moved off down toward the lake.
I love to see wild life in the yard.


The post Wild life in my driveway first appeared on Eclectic Red Barn.

Linking to these parties:
NEWDIYLargeButtonIn and Out of the Kitchen Link Party

No comments :

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you. Your comments are special to me.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...