FFf Eclectic Red Barn: Spooky Ghost Cakes

Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Spooky Ghost Cakes

Each year we hold a Pumpkin Carving party on our street. You have to bring your own pumpkins and we give you several hours to carve. Everyone brings an - appetizer and a dessert -  and we eat, drink and carve. I decided to make these Ghost Cakes as my dessert.

Eclectic Red Barn: Ghosts Cakes

 I wish I could say that they turned out so adorable, but that would be stretching it big time.
Look at those faces - they are scary alright, but maybe not in a good way. Pathetic might be a better word. 

I found this cake pan at the end of last season and was so excited to make these little cakes.
Eclectic Red Barn: Ghosts Cake Pan I don't even remember where I got it - maybe JoAnn Fabrics. 

The pan had both pumpkins and ghosts, but I choose to make just the ghosts.
Eclectic Red Barn: Ghosts and Pumpkin Cake Pan
It was a busy day and I should have made them earlier. Needless to say I didn't allow enough time to decorate them. 

Instead of using icing to make the eyes, I thought I would use mini chocolate chips. Sounded like a good idea. Well, it wasn't. The chips did not want to stick. Finally, I used a tooth pick to make a hole so the back of the chip would go into it. I wanted the flat part out so it would look more like eyes.

Eclectic Red Barn: Pan of Ghosts Cakes

Some of them look like demented mummies. See how their eyes are falling out? Those were before I used the toothpick.

Then there was the frosting. I melted some vanilla chocolate pieces and then added a can of frosting and melted that with the chocolate. The frosting tasted great, but trying to coat them was another story. I had it runny enough, not sure what I did wrong.


Eclectic Red Barn: Funny Looking Ghosts Cakes

The ghost on the right looks like it has a long nose and a mouth. I wanted to take something else, but did not have time. So off to the party they went. They were all gone so I guess they were OK.  What can I say!

The night was awesome and everyone did a great job of creating some fabulous carved pumpkins. Prizes were given and everyone had a great time. My husband and I were the judges. It was tough.

I am not including a recipe, since I just used a yellow cake mix and poured the batter into the ghosts ones. I followed the directions on the pan. Once they cooled, I did the frosting that I mentioned above. Melted vanilla chocolate with a can of vanilla frosting. I would suggest making the eyes out of frosting instead of chocolate chips. 

Next time I am going to make both the pumpkins and the ghosts. Hopefully, I will learn more by then. There has to be a trick - so someone tell me what that is. I would be so grateful.

The post Spooky Ghost Cakes first appeared on Eclectic Red Barn.

Linking to these parties:
  Come party with us and share your WONDERFUL content at Wonderful Wednesday #party #wonderfulwednesdayThriving on ThursdaysLinky Party LogoTFT 8-24wow-me_thumb1_thumb1HappyandBlessedHome.com

No comments :

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you. Your comments are special to me.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...